Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Gauge Update? Alum overlay?

SO - thinking of using the 1/8" thick alum gauge cluster cover. I am going to use all aftermarket gauges.

It states that some "minor cutting" is required? Exactly what is that? Does the original heater control unit work OK?

I have the square turn signal cutouts on my 79 - looks like the round hole version is the only one available? Will it work ?

Now - any chance I could get some of that "Turned Alum" overlay material to sort of retain an original look? Is there some stick on stuff I could trim to this new cluster ?

Thanks in advance -

Jim

You need to cut out where the gauges would sit, it isn't hard but has to be done for the gauges to recess in the panel.

The heater works perfectly as this unit allows for the use of the heater controls just like stock.

You will have to put new turn signals in the overlay, they don't line up with your stockers at all.

We don't have the turned alum overlay, I can check to see if I could get a sheet of it....

Comment

Thank you for the promt reply!

Looks like I will be ordering this part. As for the turned overlay - my street rod buddies tell me I can get that a lot of places...

So - a clarification on the heater controls. Do you remove them from the origial mounting? Or do they just sit back an extra 1/8" ?

Wondering this since the fan speed lever sits kinda low now. Is the heater control unit a seperate pc from the rest of the cluster [ ie mounts with screws to the cluster ]. If it screws onto the cluster now, I can just remount it to the back of this panel..

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

Jim, you keep the heater controls in place. The new issue of Jeep Junkie Magazine covers it using the overlay we sell.

Comment

Sweet - I just subscribed. Have yet to get any yet. looking foward to that !

Took the old cluster out today.. wow- well worn to say the least.It was literally falling apart as I disassembled it. lol

I getting this ...

Comment

Can anyone post some directions of how to put that 1/8" aluminum overlay in the dash with custom gauges?

Comment

I think I have an old write-up from FSJ magazine somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  I think I have an old write-up from FSJ magazine somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it here.
                  Any luck with that article?

Comment

yep, found it a few minutes ago (had forgotten). What is your email addy?

Comment

beilcj7@yahoo.com

Comment

it's on my office machine as a PDF, but I won't be back at that machine until monday. I do however have the article as a word doc and separate pictures, so I'll email now.

Comment

Ryan, can you please email me a copy of the dash overlay article as well? I am considering the change as well.
                          jctoolman@hotmail.com
                          Last edited by Jctoolman; 11-09-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X