X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a motor - 360 - Suggestions

Hi guys I found a 360 that the guy said is original never bored over. I had him lift a valve cover an take a picture of the casting number. It is 3220502 .. Well I think that is from a 74 AMC as he said that sounds about right. Come out of a Honcho. Well, I was wanting to ask if 74 is late enough to be one of the more powerful 360s that I have read about that do not suffer from the loss of horsepower as the years get newer. Please help me, he needs my answer by sunday if I want to buy for 500 dollars. What do you guys think? Get it?

Little more information

57.92 volume cc
    2.02k valve diameter intake
    1680 valve diameter exhaust
    dog legged exhaust port designrocker style bridged

Comment

Well I went ahead an bought it. Its a 1974 360 and it will be going in a 1974 J10 that presently has a 258 straight 6. Im hoping this will bolt right up to my th400 without no adapters. I remember reading somewhere that v8s sit differently then sixs and something about a input shaft. From my research this is what I have gathered I need:

1. motor mounts
      2. radiator and hoses
      3. starter

Anything else?

Comment

the horsepower losses aren't due to the engine, but rather how the industry measured the power was changed, and thus, the ratings changed (ie: with accessories versus without accessories). Also, smog requirements added more parts to the engines over time, so the power level fluctuated with that as well.

1. motor mount towers along with motor mounts
        2. radiator / hoses, but also the V8 core support as the V8 radiators are wider than the 6-cylinders, and the width of the core support is different between the two
        3. starter
        4. exhaust will have to be modified
        5. transmission crossmember will have to be moved to the other set of holes, and driveshafts will have to be modified

Comment

Can Anyone confirm for me if a 1974 AMC jeep 360 mated to a 1974 AMC th400 transmission will be a direct bolt up or will it need a spacer and/or sleeve????????
          Last edited by flboy0638; 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I read the NOVAK site and it only talks about mating a th400 GM specific trans to a AMC v8. I have a AMC specific th400. I just need to know what I need for that. I did find one thing I think I need though from Novak:

AMC V8 to TH400 torque converter sizing ring <<<<<<<<

A part often overlooked by installers is the factory Jeep sizing ring or shim bushing between the TH400 torque converter pilot and the AMC crankshaft bore. This ring is critical for the precise centering of the torque converter to the crank. Failure to install this part can cause front pump failure and other issues.

Novak manufactures and carries this part under Jeep #J5352374 or #5352374

Comment

they are talking about the pilot spacer bushing or pilot bearing as some folks call it. It goes into the rear of the crankshaft bore on the AMC, and is what the front tab of the torque converter rides in to center it properly and support it properly. Otherwise, the transmission should bolt up correctly to your engine (make sure to use the right spacer between the trans and engine).

Comment

ryan, i got my motor home an i see the thin metal spacer your refering to now. Ill take a pic an post so everyone can see what it looks like.

The guy dropped the price down to 100 dollars because the motor is seized up an the rockers an lifters have rust on them.

The shop told me to look at as a core only. They recommend soaking the piston cyclinders in transmission fluid to unseize the motor.

Anyone ever heard of this method? Someone else at the shop said mercury magic oil too , Might have that name wrong...

Comment

I think it is called marvel mystery oil, we use it alot at work. That would be expensive to do though. We use red diesel to soak rusted stuff in.
                  Last edited by bullzeyee; 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM.

Comment

my old 401 had siezed pistons, and they used marvel mystery oil and let it soak overnight. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Got the engine all taken apart an on a pallet to go to machine shop. Had to tap on number 6 piston (seized) to get it out after soaking. That cyclinder is rusty too but i dont see pitting. Maybe ill get lucky. Fingers crossed

Comment

My block was magnafluxed an no cracks but machine shop said number 6 cyclinder needs a sleeve. Bad idea? Should I seek a new block?

Comment

machine shop is going to do a test bore on the one bad cyclinder .30 over an see if that takes out the rust pitting that they think is going to need a sleeve

Comment

Working...
                          X