X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Hitch Wiring

Looking for advice as to where to buy a wiring harness to connect my trailer. I see some wiring under the rear of my Wagon that looks like i could possibly but a harness that is just a plug and play, is this correct?
    Attached Files

yes, that is your standard trailer plug. Depending on the type / age of the trailer, it may use that style or it may use the more modern round plug. If it uses the more modern round plug, any uhaul shop / northern tool / harbor freight will have the adapter for a few bucks. May even be able to find them at Walmart, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      yes, that is your standard trailer plug. Depending on the type / age of the trailer, it may use that style or it may use the more modern round plug. If it uses the more modern round plug, any uhaul shop / northern tool / harbor freight will have the adapter for a few bucks. May even be able to find them at Walmart, etc.
      It doesnt look like the one on my Jeep TJ?? The one on my Wagoneer is larger and has 4 plus 1. The one on my TJ that i would call standard is 3 plus 1.

Comment

not sure about your TJ, but that is a trailer wiring plug

Comment

not sure about your TJ, but that is a trailer wiring plug
          Look at it again Ryan... it isn't standard. It is a flat 5 plug. Standard is a flat 4...

I am sure someone makes an adapter for it but it isn't the 'norm'

It looks like the 5th wire is for trailer brakes, do you have a controller for brakes on your dash?

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

I would convert it to a round 7 which is pretty much the standard plug for most anything anymore. Flat 4 is also very popular.
          Last edited by Brent; 03-22-2013, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
            Look at it again Ryan... it isn't standard. It is a flat 5 plug. Standard is a flat 4...

I am sure someone makes an adapter for it but it isn't the 'norm'

It looks like the 5th wire is for trailer brakes, do you have a controller for brakes on your dash?

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

I would convert it to a round 7 which is pretty much the standard plug for most anything anymore. Flat 4 is also very popular.
            I dont have a controller for brakes on my dash.

Thanks for the link, I was hoping to find an adapter to just plug into mine and out with a Flat 4.

Comment

So if noone knows what i have here what does everyone else do for trailer wiring?

Comment

would something like this work:
                http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7671_200317671

Comment

If I actualy has a 5 wire flat it would work. Mine is a 5 wire flat but 1.5 time bigger than what they sell in the parts stores. I have yet to find anything that looks like what i have??

Comment

sounds like you need to take it to a local uhaul shop that installs hitches. They can either tell you what you have and what adapter you need, or they can remove / reinstall the right end for your app.

Comment

A few trailer connectors have the side marker lights seperated.

one pin for tail lights, one for side marker lights, one for left brake lights, one for right brake lights, and one for ground.

My old Mazda truck had a connector like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X