X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better MPG

I recently purchased an 83' Cherokee. It has the stock cooling fan running off the engine. I am wondering what the best electric fan i can fit in my Jeep for the most increase in gas mileage. I am new to this and my father will be helping me install. Any help, or ideas would be much appreciated! Thank You

Unfortunately changing the fan to electric (while it will free up some horsepower) will not affect your mileage. The only things you can really do to change mileage on an FSJ is to go with a fuel injection conversion and / or an overdrive transmission conversion.

Comment

Ahh i see, thank you. I was told changing to an electric fan would help with mileage. I am getting around 7 mpg right now, so was trying to find something inexpensive to help with it. I knew it wasnt going to be great with a FSJ but that seems really bad. Thanks for your help and if anyone has any suggestions I am open to any.

Comment

Im right around 12-13.5 mpg

I am also watch fuel consumption...I do not race this AMC360 around, by that I mean I do not rev or speed over 60mph & I get a normal 12-14mpg but I do notice that this carb and or timing or both show times of 8 mpg for no reason.

I am very interested in the removal of the smog, the fan & belt system for improved efficiency in that area plus some work on "the roller rockers / roller lifters"

This fuel injections system, the serpentine belts seem to be good ways to go but I am guessing from the lack conversation that this carb cannot be tuned to provide it's best fuel economy?

Also the tranny or overdrive seems to expensive for me too.
        Last edited by BossVP; 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Ghoul, if you are getting 7mpg, it's very possible you have a blown powervalve. When the truck is cold in the morning, after sitting overnight, do you have to pump the gas a lot to get it to start?

Comment

Yes i do every morning after it sits over night. i have to pump 3-4 times before the engine turns over.

Comment

It also smells like it is running very rich. I am not very mechanically inclined and I am learning about my truck as I go along. Any advice or anything you can tell me about this problem would help me out a lot. Thank you Ryan

Comment

yep, that's a blown powervalve. The reason it smells rich is that you are dumping raw fuel out of the front of the carb onto the intake. You can get a replacement power valve at Napa, and replacing it is simple (don't have to remove carb). On the front of the carb is a little bowl that hangs down, and there are screws holding it to the carb. Remove those, pull the bowl off, remove the valve, replace, reinstall and you'll be good to go. You should be in the 10-12mpg range after that with easier starts.

The powervalve typically blows when you have a backfire through the carb (and it literally blows on the first carb backfire)

Comment

That is great, thank you so much! My jeep is my daily driver and just going to work and home Ive dumped hundreds in fuel the last few weeks. This should help out considerably. I really appreciate the information and diagnostics! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X