X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fan and Shroud Kit Explained

This post will retain all of the information regarding the electric fan, the shroud, the relay thermostat kits and the BJ's Off-Road aluminum radiator that it bolts onto.

The Radiator:

There are 2 different types of BJ's Off-Road Aluminum Crossflow radiators floating around out there. The first is Generation 1 and the second is Generation 2. The only difference between them is on Generation 2, the corner support on the engine side will have threaded holes in them for the fan shroud to bolt onto.

Generation 1:

Generation 2:

Note, all radiators sold for about the last 6-12 months are Generation 2 as are all radiators that will sell from now on.

The Electric Fan:

A true 17" Fan

Dual Speed Fan: 2400 CFM High Speed, 1800 CFM Low Speed

300 Watt High Output Motor

Designed to be used as a primary cooling fan

Dimensions: 17" x 17" x 2.61" (just the perfect size for a FSJ!)

Amp Draw: 23.5 amps at High Speed, 17.4 amps at Low Speed

Fan comes with rubber mounting feet to mount to the shroud as well as stainless steel hardware to attach it to the shroud.

The Thermostat and Relay Kit:

Our thermostat is adjustable so you can set it between 150-240 degrees. Turn-off temperature is 10 degrees below turn-on temp.

Available with 3/8 NPT thermostat or the radiator fin probe for the temperature sensor. 3/8 NPT ports are located in the intake and typically there is an extra port for this.

Heavy-duty relay included since fan draws 23.5 amps.

A/C Overide Circuit included (if needed). This turns the fan on when the A/C turns on.

Dual Speed Controller Kits:

We now have dual speed controller kit. The fans have high and low so this utilizes this feature.

The Shroud:

The shroud is fabricated out of 12 gauge aluminum and all of the holes for the fan and radiator mount (Generation 2 Radiators) are pre-cut with hardware included.

Aluminum Radiators are available here:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...pid=609&cid=17

Electric Fan Kits are available here:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...pid=934&cid=17
    Last edited by Brent; 07-20-2010, 07:36 AM.

If you have a Generation 1 radiator, you can still use the electric fan. You would need to go to the webstore page and order the electric fan only. It does come with thru-core mounting hardware. This wouldn't be the ideal situation but it does work.

The other option for Generation 1 radiators is to find a welder that can TIG weld alumnum and have him weld in some tabs that are threaded for the fan shroud to bolt to.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post

Coming soon on the relay kits:
      In the next 6 months, our supplier will be coming out with a relay kit that utilizes the fans dual speed and will be able to turn the low speed on at a lower temperature and the high speed on at a higher temperature. Although, for a V8, they do say that you don't need this, it would just be a luxury.
      Will this be available seperately for use with other fans?

Comment

Originally posted by brett9186 View Post
        Will this be available seperately for use with other fans?
        Yes, it will be available separately but you would need a fan that is set up for 2 speeds for it to work.

Comment

cooling fan

Has anyone tried to wire the the trinary switch on the electirc fan so that low speed is operated by the sensor you can purchase with the fan and the high speed is turned on by the high pressure switch on the ac system? Seems to me that the low cfm would be close to the factory fan with fan clutch at idle or better.

Comment

What would you use on a daily driver?

Brent,
            I'm doing a total rebuild on my 88 GW and i need a cooling system. This is a daily driver what should i us... Al with electric fan or std. OEM?
            What is the difference between the 3/8 NPT or the radiator fin probe thermostats?

Comment

I would go with this electric kit, it works really well.

The 3/8 probe would go into a 3/8" Pipe Thread fitting in your intake manifold, if you have one available.

The radiator probe goes into the fins on your radiator.

Use the 3/8 if you have an extra spot, there is no change of it coming out.

Comment

Will the electric fan kit work on a std rad?
                I have an Edelbrock Performance manifold; does this have a port for this?

Comment

I like the way you say typically.

Comment

Wire for fan

Hey, I’ve mounted the Gen 2 Rad and Fan and I'm trying to hook up the wires.
                    The fan (2 speed) has 3 wires, BLK, GRY, BRN...there are no designations.
                    The relay kit doesn't say anything about connections to a 2 speed fan.

How do I hook this up?

Comment

Connect the gray and brown wire together and run them to the power wire on the relay (or is it the battery? I can't remember) but you do just tie those 2 wires together.

Comment

Connect the gray and brown wire together and run them to the power wire on the relay (or is it the battery? I can't remember) but you do just tie those 2 wires together.
                        Not that it maters but would this make it a one speed fan? That would make the black wire (-)?

Comment

Yes, one speed. They don't have a dual speed fan controller yet and for V8's they recommend just the one speed anyway.

And yes, black is negative.

Comment

Yes, one speed. They don't have a dual speed fan controller yet and for V8's they recommend just the one speed anyway.

And yes, black is negative.
                            Got it...Thanks

Comment

Brent, I just received my gen 2 radiator and i happened to read this post about the tabs being threaded. Well i just looked at my new radiator that I will be installing this weekend and see the tabs as mentioned but there are only holes and no threads at all. I did not order the electric fan, with the radiator, due to the lack of additional funds at this time. I will be ordering the fan setup in the future and I am wondering how do I mount the fans since the holes are not threaded. Did the manufacturer miss this step in production?
                              Reference order #19122.
                              Thanks,
                              Benny

Comment

Working...
                              X