Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Problem

I have a 1981 Jeep J10

I noticed my brakes weren't working as good as they have been. usual wear, so I redid all the hardware in the drums and did the front brakes as well. When i tested it out the pedal seemed soft, and i bled the system a few times ensuring that there was no air. After that it was still soft and if i slammed on the brakes they wouldn't lock up and it would take 2 seconds for the tires to slow down and stop. I took it to the shop and they put a new booster and master cylinder in, and its still having the same problem. My brakes are not as good as they used to be even when the old hardware was on there. The shops tell me its just because its an old truck..... could it maybe be the proportioner? if i slam on the brakes hard enough the front tires will lock up, and the back will slow to a halt. Thanks

It could be the prop valve or it could be the stock rubber lines are getting old and expanding when pressure is applied.

Comment

That is the most common problem. you could also check to make sure there are no vac leaks going to the booster, and check your firewall. i have seen where they will get week and the firewall will start to flex under your foot.

Comment

also, when you bled the system did you hold the prop valve pin out?

Comment

Originally posted by J10rules View Post
          The shops tell me its just because its an old truck.....
          This is a joke right? No matter the age of the vehicle, a new and well setup brake system should work great. I have a 68 Plymouth Valiant with four wheel drum brakes and they stop the car great.

Also, I would not set up the rears so that they lock up. If you lockup the front and rear brakes, you will end up fishtailing and have a lot less control of the vehicle. You want the rears to be almost to the point of locking up when you stump on the brakes.

Comment

I did not pull the pin on the proportioning valve when i bled the brake system. After i bled them i took them to a shop to be proffesionally done and they should have done it but who knows. I try to keep all of my work on my jeep to myself. And yes i realize the back tires shouldnt completely lock up i was just explaining thats how good they used to be.

Comment

There is no reason why they still can't be that good again, may just take a little time and tinkering by I am sure that you will get there with it.

Comment

i would have to agree about the rubber lines expanding... another issue that could be causing your problems are the wheel cylinders... my 75 ford f350 had a soft pedal and replaced master cylinder and stuff and it didnt fix it. then replaced calipers and rear cylinders and has worked great since and i pull 10k lb trailer all the time.

Comment

Working...
                X